Sunday 7 October 2012

Speedo calibrated!

Mark has been pressuring me to get the speedo sorted out before he rides it again, and quite right too. In fact, he is always right - he makes me sick.

I reassembled the speedo today after first drilling an access hole in the rear of the speedo casing and then temporarily sat the speedo in the headlamp. I connected the speedo cable and set off to duel with the local radar device.  After the third time of adjusting the magnet plate distancing screw I approached the radar device and it displayed in large green numbers 30 mph.

Went back for a rerun to prove it wasn't a fluke and again it displayed 30 mph. I went back and rode the bike at 31 mph according to the speedometer and as I approached the radar detector  31 mph flashed up on the device. Really chuffed! Rode back home and secured the speedometer in the headlamp. I managed to tap the metal that Smiths had originally "punched" to stop the screw from turning, and secured the screw in place. This was achieved through the new drill hole.

As a final test I rode the bike to the opposite end of town and rode the bike through the other radar speed detector and lo and behold riding the bike at 
 31 mph the detector confirmed that the speedo is now accurate.

I tested it at 31 instead of 30 mph because the margin for error is less than the thick line of 30mph on my speedometer would show, if that makes sense.

Next on the list is: 
1.  Clean air filter
2.  Make a transparent cover to view internals of the Float Chamber.

Apart from glass, which I assume would be difficult to drill, I need something that is not attacked by petrol that would be easy to buy locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment